From an article posted on Product Safety Australia – June 23 2016:
“Tragically, between one and two children die in Australian homes every year as a result of non-compliant corded blinds and curtains. Similar deaths occur regularly across the world and the ACCC is joining international regulators to warn of the hidden dangers associated with corded blinds and curtains.
Loose cords can be extremely dangerous to young children, as they can quickly tangle or loop around a child’s neck. We are urging parents and carers to check each room in their house for blinds or curtains with cords and tie them up with cleats,” – ACCC Commissioner Sarah Court said.